Thursday, February 19, 2015

DNA STRAND POST

CTAGATGGTTCCCTTGCCTGCCGGTCGTTCGGACAATTCAGGAAAGTAGGTAC

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca,
    I decoded your sentence but i do not think you understood the assignment. We were suppose to write a DNA strand that could be translated and transcribe into a grammatically correct sentence. Your sentence does not have a start codon until the end, and has no end codon whatsoever. One of your codons is also missing a letter. Your sentence does not make sense as well.
    DNA:
    CTAGATGGTTCCCTTGCCTGCCGGTCGTTCGGACAATTCAGGAAAGTAGGTAC
    mRNA:
    GAUCUACCAAGGGAACGGACGGCCAGCAAGCCUGUUAAGUCCUUUCAUCCAUG
    Sentence:
    Odd was sit proteins hungry adapt school good tooth fossil become i fossil into in sleep sit ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. Im not sure how you got that, but I did do my codon as was asked of us, I even checked it a few times, I THOUGHT I did it right. In the instructions she said to add some random bases to the beginning and end of our strand, which I did. They don't have to make sense because they are extra and not a part of our sentence. My strand begins at ATG (AUG) and ends at TAG (UAG) , the letters before and after this are extras and are there intentionally, I suppose to make it harder to decode. The two words before my start and stop were WAS (CTAG/CUAG) and YOU (GTAC/GUAC).This is what my sentence is:

    Was(Start Codon) I Want To Become Good At Learn(ing) About Unusual Animals And Special Fossil(s) (End Codon)You.

    mRNA: (Extra letters: CUAG) AUG GUU CCC UUG CCU GCC GGU CGU UCG GAC AAU UCA GGA AAG UAG (Extra Letters: GUAC)

    RNA: (Extra Letters: CTAG) ATG GTT CCC TTG CCT GCC GGT CGT TCG GAC AAT TCA GGA AAG TAG (Extra Letters: GTAC)

    I checked it again and it seems right, I guess I will have to wait for the Professor to check it again and tell me if I am wrong. Sorry!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soliveness, good attempt. You and I came up with the same decode.

    Rebecca, I'm glad you posted your work so I can review it. You seem to be on the right track with your sentence formation and reverse translation to mRNA, but then you go off track when you go through the reverse transcription. You only seem to transcribe uracils to thymines. You don't change anything else. The following reverse transcriptions should have taken place:

    Adenines (A) to Thymines (T)
    Uracils (U) to Adenines (A)
    Cytosines (C) to Guanines (G)
    Guanines (G) to Cytosines (C)

    So if this was your mRNA (with the extra letters):
    CUAGAUGGUUCCCUUGCCUGCCGGUCGUUCGGACAAUUCAGGAAAGUAGGUAC

    This should have been your DNA molecule that you posted:
    GATCTACCAAGGGAACGGACGGCCAGCAAGCCTGTTAAGTCCTTTCATCCATG

    ALL the bases have changed, not just the uracils. Make sure you review this process to understand how it works from start to finish.

    Here is my original decode for reference. You can see how soliveness and I came up with what we did.

    DNA: CTAGATGGTTCCCTTGCCTGCCGGTCGTTCGGACAATTCAGGAAAGTAGGTAC
    RNA codons: GAU CUA CCA AGG GAA CGG ACG GCC AGC AAG CCU GUU AAG UCC UUU CAU CCA UG
    Odd was sit proteins hungry adapt school good tooth fossil become I fossil into in sleep sit UG

    ReplyDelete